• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Vote for free travel for PCSO

Any other 'PCSO issues' that do not fit in to the other forums. Recruitment of PCSOs, day to day PCSO duties, questions about law, joining the regular police, becoming a special, anything else remotely PCSO orientated!!

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Do we want free rail travel

Yes i do want free rail travel
82%
No i don't want free rail travel
18%

Total votes: 60

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:14 am

We get free bus travel does anyone else who works as a pcso get free travel and what type?
Regards
Anthony

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:01 pm

Just found out that we get free train travel now only when we are working and in full uniform. :D :D :D
Regards
Anthony

Gforceuk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gforceuk » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:15 pm

ANTHONY C wrote:Just found out that we get free train travel now only when we are working and in full uniform. :D :D :D
so when your travelling on a train and something happens , maybe someone contrevening a bylaw or a conductor points out a TI .. what do you do ?

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:18 pm

What should i do?
Regards
Anthony

Gforceuk
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Gforceuk » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:23 pm

ANTHONY C wrote:What should i do?
exactly the problem with pcsos on trains who arent btp...

but hey ho.... i'm sure your force knows what its doing ;)

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:29 pm

Gforceuk wrote:

Oh sorry you wanted to know what i would do well the first thing i would do is find out what by-law they are breaking and then i would go upto the person and challenge them, much the same as i would on the street really, if you want to be abit more specific then i can answer your question in a more accurate manner. :D :D :D
By the way congratulations on your new job. :D :D
Regards
Anthony

DANGEROUS TIGER
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by DANGEROUS TIGER » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:27 am

I get free bus travel whether at work or off duty. I have also been told that I can get a card for free tavel to London by rail, which also includes the underground network. Some of my fellow PCSOs have them, and use them for days/nights out in Town.
LIVE WELL, DIE WELL

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:30 am

We get free bus travel anytime but we are only allowed to use the trains in full uniform whilst on duty, personally i think thats a step in the right direction. :D :D
Regards
Anthony

tommasi
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by tommasi » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:35 pm

Just out of intrest anthony why do you think we should get free travel?

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:37 pm

tommasi wrote:Just out of intrest anthony why do you think we should get free travel?
Well for one i work in a community centre and i often have to go to the station for uniform my payslip using the computer. Also we have to get about the area and Ken livingstone wanted us to have free bus travel as our presence had a calming effect with some of the more noisier commuters.
Regards
Anthony

tommasi
Registered Member
Registered Member

Re: Vote for free travel for PCSO

Post by tommasi » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:23 pm

Just to clarify you want free travel when were off duty?

Headset 57
Elite Legion
Elite Legion

Re:

Post by Headset 57 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:57 pm

ANTHONY C wrote:
Gforceuk wrote:

Oh sorry you wanted to know what i would do well the first thing i would do is find out what by-law they are breaking and then i would go upto the person and challenge them, much the same as i would on the street really, if you want to be abit more specific then i can answer your question in a more accurate manner. :D :D :D
By the way congratulations on your new job. :D :D
Met PCSO's have NO byelaw powers on trains or tubes!. The guard technically has more power to deal but their TOC won't let them. The Train perating Company's own RPO's can deal.
'You can always find a Question for an Answer
But you can't always find an Answer for a Question'

DANGEROUS TIGER
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by DANGEROUS TIGER » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:12 am

Do you think we should have free travel off duty Anthony?
LIVE WELL, DIE WELL

joeyspoons
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Lightning'
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Post by joeyspoons » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:05 am

Why Shud we have free travel off duty, we are normal citizens after all, just like a PC, thing is if owt does happen he can deal with it( i think) we cannot.
NORTHERN SOUL Its a way of Life

Winston Churchill. (Quote)
"Sir you are Drunk"
"Yes Madam and you are UGLY"
"But in the morning i will be SOBER"

Carpe Diem

tim419
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by tim419 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:57 am

I didn't think Met PCSOs had free travel on trains (will check).

We get the free travel concession in order to support rail staff and act as a professional witness if required. As either a police officer or PCSO, this does NOT mean automatically jumping in or intervening in an incident or situation in transit. So talk of whether you have "powers" or not isn't directly relevant.

BTP officers and staff are trained to work in trackside enviroments - we are not. BTP PCSOs have additional equipment and powers to enable thm to safely work in this kind of restricted environment, with radios that work in these areas. You as a Met PCSO have none of this.

There are specific Risk Assessments detailing PCSOs using transport systems, which you'd be well advised to read.

Anthony C - think about what you would actually do on board a train. Challenge someone and start thinking about bye-laws? You are not trained in any of this. What happens if the situation escalates? Who on your Borough knows you're on a train? What happens if you activate your EMER button as the train shoots past your stop and takes you into central London or somewhere else off Borough?

As a PCSO your primary role is to "observe and report". As a police officer, when I'm on a train - that's a valid tactical option I'll certainly consider. On duty I have all my equipment, radio, powers of arrest etc. Off duty I have none of those back-up or resources, (except for arrest powers), and consequently my actions off duty would be very different.

Would I step up and intervene on a train? On duty with all my stuff - maybe yes, if my dynamic risk assessment fitted. Off duty? Unless someone was getting a pasting or otherwise faced immediate risk of assault - no. I'd "observe & report", be a good witness and get on my mobile. And if I was with my family off duty, it be just the last one - get on the mobile & go to another carriage!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic