• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Interview Advice

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
Lieutenant fatman
Counsellor
Counsellor
Class: 'Paladin'

Post by Lieutenant fatman » Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:39 pm

When have you accomodated for someone who has different beliefs or background to yourself. What did you do?

I still dont fully understand this question the response i put on my met form got below standard marks and deemed "fictious"???

still passed it due to the high marks of the other section.

but i still DONT understand what this question means!!!!

Not one of the easier questions I have to say. Think of a family member or friend who has strong beliefs, or who live very differently to you, and how you have done your best to make sure you respect their belief/s or background, and do not upset them. Obviously the force wants to see there has been some effort on you part, so think of a particularly good example, which shows this.

P.C.S.O FOAD
Official Member
Official Member

Post by P.C.S.O FOAD » Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:16 am

thanks lt!
I think i managed to give a good one in the end at the interview , there was so interupting and "can you add to that " " do you want to extend that"
So i think it went ok . :lol:
April 15th 2006 Sent application online
May 15th 2006 : Passed Paper Sift
June 15th 2006 : Day One Assesement.
July 1st 2006 : Passed Day One
July 27th 2006: Day Two - PASSED
August 10th 2006: Vetting Clear
September 4th 2006: Training Start

ugamma1
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by ugamma1 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:15 pm

I used an old example from school, "respect for diversity" they really liked it. So even though a past experience might seem simple to you it might be crucial to your application, all round i think the more positive your answers the better you score.

:)
Application Submitted: 23/03/2009

Melysa

Post by Melysa » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:01 pm

I find it hard to think of a example .... :roll:

MillyLUHG

Post by MillyLUHG » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:26 pm

Hi people!!

Iv made a list of things i can say for each compentcy and the one iv put down for the respect for race and diversity one is about a lad being bullied about a scar on his head and i went and got the bully to stop etc. Would this be a good answer for the question or do i need to focus it more on race etc?

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:07 pm

I should think diversity goes for races, sexualities and anything some would “perceive” to be different or not the norm…so a large scare could come under this category.

I see no problem.

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:47 pm

anu updates for us?

aws
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by aws » Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:03 am

Hi Everyone,
In my current job i am a training instructor and the main things i was taught when teaching people is to maintain eye contact this helps both you and the person you are talking to maintain a good level of understanding (you can tell if peole are struggling to understand as their eyes start to go to the top of the head - this means they are searching the back of the mind to find a answer ) useless info i know but thats how people's minds work!.
Be polite on entering building as you dont know who the interviewer's are until you are introduced

during interview if possible try to sit at an angle to them -so as not to appear full on - move the chair slightly to a angle if possible

try to use humor -laughing inbetween questions will help break the ice and they will laugh with you they may even start to have a joke at the start to help you relax

when answering a question dont just answer it to the person who asked it but answer to both or however many there are (they will notice this as they will look at you whilst you answer and they are writing it down )
relax as much as you can- they know you are nervous and they respect this

if you are struggling to find an answer to a question ask them if you can go back to that one at a later point (they may say this to you before they start)

when they ask you at the end if you have any questions you would like to ask ,dont ask owt stupid :!: if you cant think of anything just say the questions that you had in mind have been answered during the interview

at the end of the interview dont forget to shake everyones hand and thank them personally for their time

Hope this has made some form of sense as it didn't look right during typing
Good Luck to all
Andy
LIVE LIFE TO THE FULL - IT'S THE ONLY ONE YOU WILL GET

aws
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by aws » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:16 pm

hi all, on the race & diversity , i think that a answer leaning more to the race side of the question will help you more as i think that it shows that you understand the beliefs etc in this multi - cultural society that we live in , if you think about it enough you should be able to think of a situation without the need to make a fictious story up . i was in the same situation but when i thought about t i realised that i had done something without realising it at the time

Andy

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:25 pm

aws wrote:Hi Everyone,
In my current job i am a training instructor and the main things i was taught when teaching people is to maintain eye contact this helps both you and the person you are talking to maintain a good level of understanding (you can tell if peole are struggling to understand as their eyes start to go to the top of the head - this means they are searching the back of the mind to find a answer ) useless info i know but thats how people's minds work!.
Be polite on entering building as you dont know who the interviewer's are until you are introduced

during interview if possible try to sit at an angle to them -so as not to appear full on - move the chair slightly to a angle if possible

try to use humor -laughing inbetween questions will help break the ice and they will laugh with you they may even start to have a joke at the start to help you relax

when answering a question dont just answer it to the person who asked it but answer to both or however many there are (they will notice this as they will look at you whilst you answer and they are writing it down )

if you are struggling to find an answer to a question ask them if you can go back to that one at a later point (they may say this to you before they start)

when they ask you at the end if you have any questions you would like to ask ,dont ask owt stupid :!: if you cant think of anything just say the questions that you had in mind have been answered during the interview

at the end of the interview dont forget to shake everyones hand and thank them personally for their time

Good Luck to all
Andy
Very informative and in my opinion very good advice. :D
Regards
Anthony

tommy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Re:

Post by tommy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:21 pm

aws wrote:Hi Everyone,

Good Luck to all
Andy
Excellent. Thank you for that. Its a good help.
*Any posts made by me are my personal opinion*

Gary01
Official Member
Official Member

Re: Interview Advice

Post by Gary01 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:39 pm

Do the interviewers ever use what is Diversity as a question, out of interest? Or what are the 6 strands? :?:

aws
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by aws » Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:52 am

Each set of interviewers will have their own format for doing interviews,they will be based on a general spine of questions but some may focus on certain elements more than others

Take a look at this thread as it gives you a clearer definition of diversity :-

http://www.policecommunitysupportoffice ... ty#p147708

hope this helps and good luck with everything

Andy

Gary01
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Gary01 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:21 pm

Is there any MOCK exams for the verbal reasoning tests around online?

Thanks

Aust

Post by Aust » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:46 pm

Hey guys anyone had an interview for the essex PCOS's could really do with some tips on how to get through im really nervous and im not quite sure what to expect??

Thanks Austen

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic