• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

applying as a PCSO and a PC at the same time

Only start new topics in this area IF you are applying for PCSO, not PC not Special JUST applying for PCSO!!
ladyk100
Committee Member
Committee Member
Class: 'Pixie'
Alignment: 'Shadow'
Sacred: 'Dragoon'

applying as a PCSO and a PC at the same time

Post by ladyk100 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:07 pm

Hey guys, thought i would add some info in case anyone was found in the same position as me, i have seen posts asking about this before

I applied as a PCSO and then a PC (was told i could be waiting ages for a training date as a PCSO) Well dont you know it, my A/C day 1 for a PC is two days before i start my PCSO training THIS month, I was told that if i passed my A/C as a PC i could start my training as soon as this April . I was told that because i have been given my training dates already i have to decide which one to follow up on as i cant do both. If i was still waiting for my training date then i could ask to put it off until i found out my results from my PC interview and not risk losing anything.

They also told me that if i decided to carry on on my PCSO position then in a year i could do the fast track system, it means i wont have to fill out an application form and will get a interview date. Due to the fact i have organised everything for my 6 weeks training already (child care) and because i want to work so much at the moment I decided to end my application as a PC and not take the risk. Im gutted that my PC A/C is a month too late, i was so close. As everyone has said i have not lost anything, i just have to put it on hold for a bit longer !! still dont make me feel better though, gutted gutted gutted !.. : ( :bh:

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Re: applying as a PCSO and a PC at the same time

Post by ANTHONY C » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:36 pm

ladyk100 wrote:Hey guys, thought i would add some info in case anyone was found in the same position as me, i have seen posts asking about this before

I applied as a PCSO and then a PC (was told i could be waiting ages for a training date as a PCSO) Well dont you know it, my A/C day 1 for a PC is two days before i start my PCSO training THIS month, I was told that if i passed my A/C as a PC i could start my training as soon as this April . I was told that because i have been given my training dates already i have to decide which one to follow up on as i cant do both. If i was still waiting for my training date then i could ask to put it off until i found out my results from my PC interview and not risk losing anything.

They also told me that if i decided to carry on on my PCSO position then in a year i could do the fast track system, it means i wont have to fill out an application form and will get a interview date. Due to the fact i have organised everything for my 6 weeks training already (child care) and because i want to work so much at the moment I decided to end my application as a PC and not take the risk. Im gutted that my PC A/C is a month too late, i was so close. As everyone has said i have not lost anything, i just have to put it on hold for a bit longer !! still dont make me feel better though, gutted gutted gutted !.. : ( :bh:
Just think of it as a positive experience, you have one year to understand the role of a pcso you will learn skills that you would not learn as a pc, there is more of a chance to get to know the public and be more approachable, less paper work less red tape, just enjoy your experience it will be great speak to Ali she has done both roles.
Regards
Anthony

ladyk100
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ladyk100 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:26 pm

Thanks anthony, your so right and i totally agree. But their timing really sucks..lol im counting down the days now...gives me some thing to look forward too.

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:29 pm

ladyk100 wrote:Thanks anthony, your so right and i totally agree. But their timing really sucks..lol im counting down the days now...gives me some thing to look forward too.
No of course if i was in the same situation i would be disapointed, but i always look for a positive, you will be a far more rounded pc for the experience in my opinion. :D
Regards
Anthony

tommy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tommy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:57 pm

I have also applied for both PC and PCSO at the same time, but presumably the PCSO application will be much quicker because its done locally rather than nationally (or am i imagining that?).

Does that mean if I am accepted as a PCSO and take it, I can go straight for the A/C as a PC without all the papersift stuff first?
*Any posts made by me are my personal opinion*

ladyk100
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ladyk100 » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:21 pm

Well i was told if i passed my PC day 1 and fitness then they would want me to start as soon as May/june which is 3/4 months and it took me 13 months for the PCSO so it doesnt always work out quicker for a PCSO position. But they did say mine was rushed because of certain life skills so it may not be the same for everyone. You dont have to worry about chosing which one to follow through until you get a training date, once you except a training date for PC or PCSO you have to cancel application for the other. If they do call you with a training date you can ask for them to put it on hold. It was too late for me, my letter for PC day 1 arrived the day after i confirmed my training date for PCSO.

I have been told there is a new fast track system for PCSO's, after your year is up, instead of having to fill out an application form you get given a day 1. When i was asking more about this i was told by one person this is down to your sergeant if they want to put you forward for this. Someone told a girl in my class to apply as a PC as soon as she starts because it can take a year for everything to go through, Personally i dont think this is true because they want you to work a year before even applying. If you find any other information please post back i would like to know whats what myself.

cheeky_monkey
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by cheeky_monkey » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:45 pm

Hey Ladykill100
I totally feel for you. I want to become a Police Dog Handler or Mounted Police officer one day & when it came to applying my then boyfriend (a D.C) inquired for me & was told at the time (last Feb 07) that the Met weren't recruiting for pc's & my only chance was to apply for pcso. Now as im about to begin my training as a pcso theyre now recruiting for police officers, annoying or what!!
Good luck with your career.

ladyk100
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ladyk100 » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:19 pm

when do you start? and do you know where your based? The day i was meant to be doing my PC day 1 a/c i walked past the reception and saw them all in the waiting room.. i think i shed a tear...lol but on the other hand i could have totally mucked my interview and lost everything.. i will never know !!!!

But after doing the pcso training i dont think i was ready for PC training so im pleased i did it this way.

tommy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tommy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:20 pm

Well I just recieved word from TVP yesterday over the phone that I have passed the papersift for PCSO - much quicker than PC. Its only taken two weeks.

All they require is further vetting and then an interview at my local station, no A/c or anything. I think they must be quite desperate at the moment.

ladyk100
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ladyk100 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:27 pm

My mate is waiting to hear back from a paper sift with TVP for a PC position, its taken 2 months already and still not heard anything. How come they dont do a AC ? Thats wicked news if they dont, you will be starting training in no time at all, by the time you done your year as a PCSO they might have given you a date for your PC AC..lol thats would work out well for you : )

tommy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tommy » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:18 pm

ladyk100 wrote:My mate is waiting to hear back from a paper sift with TVP for a PC position, its taken 2 months already and still not heard anything. How come they dont do a AC ? Thats wicked news if they dont, you will be starting training in no time at all, by the time you done your year as a PCSO they might have given you a date for your PC AC..lol thats would work out well for you : )
Looking at your signiture, yours seems to have moved much slower :( Is yours PCSO? I hear the MET are a little slow with everything.

Yep I have asked twice now when recruitment have called me, they said that I don't need to have an A/C - just an interview at my local (big) police station - which is great!

What do you mean "by the time i've done my year"? Is it easier to get in as a PC once you have done a year then? Do you not have to do the application form etc?

Well done on getting to training, do you have a firm job offer now? How is the training?

ladyk100
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by ladyk100 » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:23 pm

The Met are very slow. Its a shame i cant apply as a PC as soon as i started my PCSO training.. The application stage can be speeded up if you have skills they are looking for or are short of. Sounds like your application stage is as easy as just turning up : ). I am in my last week of training and i love it !!! ill miss it so much, my class are great and im going to miss everyone when i leave. They said the fast track system to become a PC can start after a year of service as a PCSO. Everyone has said being a PCSO first has helped a lot. Just hoping ill enjoy the job as much as i have the training.The exams are hard, i have been working hard studying, many have failed in the last exam , we only have one more exam left.

EricWatts
Official Member
Official Member

Post by EricWatts » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:58 pm

ladyk100 wrote:The Met are very slow. Its a shame i cant apply as a PC as soon as i started my PCSO training.. The application stage can be speeded up if you have skills they are looking for or are short of. Sounds like your application stage is as easy as just turning up : ). I am in my last week of training and i love it !!! ill miss it so much, my class are great and im going to miss everyone when i leave. They said the fast track system to become a PC can start after a year of service as a PCSO. Everyone has said being a PCSO first has helped a lot. Just hoping ill enjoy the job as much as i have the training.The exams are hard, i have been working hard studying, many have failed in the last exam , we only have one more exam left.
Our Staff told us that they've postponed the fast track system for now. Didn't really give much of a reason but just said he'd heard it was canceled for now so might be worth looking into? I agree as I said yesterday when we was texting... The exams are a joke and I can't believe so many people failed! Can bet that most the feedback forms at the end of the course are going to be plastered with criticism for the exams and how they're done... What happened to the people who failed in your class then Kara?

I'd like to apply as a PC after my years done but the exams are so off putting that I'm just not sure!

tommy
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by tommy » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:30 pm

ladyk100 wrote:The Met are very slow. Its a shame i cant apply as a PC as soon as i started my PCSO training.. The application stage can be speeded up if you have skills they are looking for or are short of. Sounds like your application stage is as easy as just turning up : ). I am in my last week of training and i love it !!! ill miss it so much, my class are great and im going to miss everyone when i leave. They said the fast track system to become a PC can start after a year of service as a PCSO. Everyone has said being a PCSO first has helped a lot. Just hoping ill enjoy the job as much as i have the training.The exams are hard, i have been working hard studying, many have failed in the last exam , we only have one more exam left.
Hmm - so you think mine might have been speeded up then? Its strange that the time between applying and recieving my interview is only a month - i've never heard of it being so quick. I had a letter from TVP today too, with all my medical forms and some final vetting bits and peices and saying that I have a provisional appointment at Occupational Health and uniform fitting on the same day, providing that I am successful at the interview. It seems very rushed, but excellent - I cant wait.

What happened to those who failed the exam? I didn't realise there was an exam, I just thought that once you'd passed interview/AC and had your medical then you had got the job - and were then sent on training? Or is training now a pass/fail course?

EricWatts
Official Member
Official Member

Post by EricWatts » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:45 pm

tommy wrote:What happened to those who failed the exam? I didn't realise there was an exam, I just thought that once you'd passed interview/AC and had your medical then you had got the job - and were then sent on training? Or is training now a pass/fail course?
Myself and Kara are at Hendon doing our training and we finish on the 29th... Throughout our course we have 4 exams in total, the first being a mock of 10 questions, the second being 15 questions, third being 25 questions (which we took yesterday) and the forth being 40 questions. You have to get 65% or above to pass and 15 people in our intake failed the exam yesterday... If you fail then you're up in front of the inspector and you have to go through the exam questions you got wrong verbally and so on... I think there was someone who failed yesterday and had failed the exam from the intake before us so I don't know what's happened to him... Any idea there Kara?

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic