• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

Free travel for PCSO's??

For your first year - you're a ROOKIE!! You are new to the job and will have plenty of questions that need answering - despite your 3 weeks intensive training. Ask your questions HERE! ANYTHING, no subject is too small, no query is too silly

Moderator: national-PCSOs

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Free travel for PCSO's??

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:19 pm

Does anyone know what the deal is with travel and travel expenses.
I understand that when in uniform you can jump on and off busses but I’m not sure how this all works, I m starting my training on the 21st of this month and I need to know wither or not I should buy a travel pass to get to and from the training centre…

Does anyone know what the deal is?? People have told me that you get free travel on and off duty but I’m not sure what is right..

Shimmy
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Shimmy » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:57 pm

If you are a PCSO within the Met police your ID card can be used as a bus pass for free travel, with the understanding that you act as a professional witness should anything occur on your journey.
There are no other concessions except if you are a BTP pcso I believe.

I dont know about other forces...
Never give in - never, never, never,never in nothing great or small,large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
Winston Churchill

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:13 pm

does this include when u are off duty? Say if you are travelling to or from work…

kentishman
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by kentishman » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:38 pm

Jimmy_bobby wrote:does this include when u are off duty? Say if you are travelling to or from work…

YES......i understand PCSO's can travel on the London busses for free, on or off duty........note the word LONDON!

Cant use the pass for the trains or Underground though, unless youre a BTP PCSO in which case they get free travel on the Underground only.
Kentishman.

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:13 pm

I have not started training yet and I’m not sure weather or not to fork out for a months bus pass to get to and from the training center….do you get yr ID as soon as you start training or once finished??

Angua
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by Angua » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:29 pm

Hey Jimmy_bobby , I would go buy a weekly pass I got my ID in the week 3. but I know other who got it in week 1. Ask your tutors when you start they are very helpful mate. Hope it helps
PCSO 4 year+

Police Constable Application Process
Passed Application - Nov 07
Passed Assessment Centre - Jan 08
Fitness and file completed - Feb 08
Start training - 08 Sept 08

Jimmy_bobby
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by Jimmy_bobby » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:24 pm

yeah thats a big help ...thanks peeps

Jenni
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Jenni » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:14 pm

I still dont get why PCSO's dont get Train and bus as aopposed to just free bus transport. Bit mean really.
Are green crisps REALLY safe to eat?

Big Brother
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Examiner: XIII

Post by Big Brother » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:31 am

Because the train companies are unwilling to subsidise the cost of a ticket e.t.c.
I bet everytime you jump on off duty they make a note of it and charge the police accordingly.

As for whilst on duty, you just ask the driver for a lift, it's all very unofficial.
Big brother is watching you.

Billy-Bob
Official Member
Official Member

Post by Billy-Bob » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:41 am

I thought PCSOs could only travel for free when in uniform. As a PCSO was done for using his "modified" ID card at a tube station.

mono
Executive Member
Executive Member

Post by mono » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:33 pm

In the Met' we are allowed free travel on OR off duty, but only on the buses!

Anyone found using their position to obtain free travel on tubes/trains etc..will be commiting a disciplinary offence..not to mention the small matter of a criminal offence. :roll:

See ya!

Clai
Registered Member
Registered Member

free travel

Post by Clai » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:43 pm

In Thames Valley we get free travel on or off duty on Chiltern Railways, but not the buses. Also, we can't travel the extent of the line, and nobody's told me where the cut-off point is. Trouble is, trains are so few and far between out here I'm gonna have to buy a car anyway. (Just moved from London. Culture shock).
'I am the new way to go.
I am the way of the future.'

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:00 am

Free transport row goes right to the top
By David Jackman ........ 16 February, 2005

EPPING Forest Council's request for police community support officers to be allowed free travel on London Underground when on duty and in uniform is to be taken to London Mayor Ken Livingstone.

District council leader John Knapman is keen to see the officers given free transport on the Central Line so that they can get around easily, especially when the council part funds with a £90,000 contribution for six officers in the next financial year.

Following a meeting with London Underground and Essex Police in a bid to persuade Tube chiefs to allow the concession, Mr Knapman said: "The council was requested to take the matter up with Ken Livingstone as it appears he is the only person capable of making a decision.

"The cost of Epping Forest's police community support officers utilising the Tube system is negligible. It would amount to the cost of printing the passes.

"The cost to Epping Forest of having to buy travel passes in order to make the officers effective when moving between Buckhurst Hill, Loughton, Debden, Theydon Bois and Epping could be as much as £700 per pass per year."

Mr Knapman continued: "London Underground has to realise that it exists essentially for the benefit of the community and this is one way to demonstrate their adherence to that aim."

> full story here<

kentishman
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

Post by kentishman » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:25 am

mono wrote:Anyone found using their position to obtain free travel on tubes/trains etc..will be commiting a disciplinary offence..not to mention the small matter of a criminal offence. :roll:

Quite right mono........ it's classed as fraudulent travel on the railways and you could be charged and sent to court by the railway company.
It's also a sackable offence , i know of one chap who was sacked for this reason after being caught twice with his own made-up warrant badge.
Kentishman.

ANTHONY C
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post by ANTHONY C » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:50 pm

falkor wrote:Free transport row goes right to the top
By David Jackman ........ 16 February, 2005

EPPING Forest Council's request for police community support officers to be allowed free travel on London Underground when on duty and in uniform is to be taken to London Mayor Ken Livingstone.

District council leader John Knapman is keen to see the officers given free transport on the Central Line so that they can get around easily, especially when the council part funds with a £90,000 contribution for six officers in the next financial year.

Following a meeting with London Underground and Essex Police in a bid to persuade Tube chiefs to allow the concession, Mr Knapman said: "The council was requested to take the matter up with Ken Livingstone as it appears he is the only person capable of making a decision.

"The cost of Epping Forest's police community support officers utilising the Tube system is negligible. It would amount to the cost of printing the passes.

"The cost to Epping Forest of having to buy travel passes in order to make the officers effective when moving between Buckhurst Hill, Loughton, Debden, Theydon Bois and Epping could be as much as £700 per pass per year."

Mr Knapman continued: "London Underground has to realise that it exists essentially for the benefit of the community and this is one way to demonstrate their adherence to that aim."

> full story here<
Obviously nothing happened, Why?
Regards
Anthony

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic