• Active Topics  Back Forward Stop Play

PCSO OR Traffic Warden

For your first year - you're a ROOKIE!! You are new to the job and will have plenty of questions that need answering - despite your 3 weeks intensive training. Ask your questions HERE! ANYTHING, no subject is too small, no query is too silly

Moderator: national-PCSOs

leesh1

PCSO OR Traffic Warden

Post by leesh1 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:26 pm

I have only been in the job for 12 weeks. I was employed as a PCSO as per my contract. Just got a letter today syaing the due to a technical anomaly and because we have been given the powers of a traffic warden we are having our contracts changed to designate us as Traffic Wardens with PCSO powers and not PCSO's with Traffic Warden powers.
Is this the same all over the country or is it just in the Humberside police force. The traiffic wardens in Hull who used to come under Humberside Police are no longer exist, they are now street wardens and come under the control of the council .....does this mean that when Traffic Wardens are got rid of in Grimsby and controlled by the council the same thing will happen to us. It all seems a bit dodgy to me. Anyone got any info.

JCH
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by JCH » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:48 pm

West Mids have sent out the same sort of letters and I agree it appears a bit odd, we use our Traffic powers not very often and most of our town/cities in the West Mids have had or about to have parking restrictions de-crimilised. Not like London who have designated TPCSO that appear to just deal with traffic....

Hysteria
Elite Member
Elite Member
Class: 'Night Summoner'
Alignment: 'Vampire'

Post by Hysteria » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:50 pm

Does your union rep know anything ? If I were you I would consult your union

DANGEROUS TIGER
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by DANGEROUS TIGER » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:52 am

We had our contracts changed a year ago, to the same affect.

It is in fact perfectly in order, and is the simplest way of overcoming a legal loophole.

We are still P.C.S.O.s, and that is our function.

The only thing that surprises me, is why your force has only just changed your contract. This means, that any parking tickets issued by P.C.S.O.s, over the last twelve months or so, are invalid, and were issued illegally.
LIVE WELL, DIE WELL

JCH
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by JCH » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:31 am

Typical of the PCSO role nothing is black and white. You should as a PCSO be able to deal with traffic offences or not, shouldn't really be finding legal loopholes to get round things.

GlynB
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by GlynB » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:04 pm

The contract situation described above is technically correct.

Under the Police Reform Act a Chief Officer of Police may designate suitable employees with some or all of the powers in the act.

In order to exercise the full powers of a Traffic Warden one must be appointed by The Chief Officer of Police to that post (Functions of Traffic Wardens Order 1970).

So by appointing one as Traffic Warden and then designating with a list of powers which apply to PCSOs the legislation is technically satisfied.

The Home Office Determination on Traffic Warden Uniform requires that Traffic Wardens who are designated with PCSO powers must dress in the uniform of a PCSO (as determined by the Chief Officer of the Force) with the addition of the word “Traffic” on each shoulder and on the breast.

There is no indication of what form the wording should take so you see both large and small examples across the country. Some use yellow lettering or backing and the full wording Traffic Warden but this is not required by the HO Determination. Here at South Yorkshire the wording "Traffic"is in the same silver thread as the rest of the wording on shoulder boards and breast badges.

Because parking attendants are often erroneously termed traffic wardens there can be confusion. Only those working for and appointed by Police Forces under the 1970 Functions Order are Traffic Wardens just as only those designated as such by the Chief are PCSOs
Glyn Boyington

leesh1

Traffic Wardens or PCSO's

Post by leesh1 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:39 pm

Thanks for the replies... it is reassuring to know that there are other people out there who have experienced this problem and are prepared to share information and support "New kids on the block" like me. I have had a few people who were on the same course,contact me and have shown the same concerns some are refusing to sign the letter at the moment without talking to someone. I will direct them to this site so that they can benefit from the information supplied.
Ref why as it taken so long to get changed........ well I think thats just typical for this area, we are one of the last forces to get PCSO's but we have been given 58 of the 59 powers allocated to PCSO's. We have been told that the last Chief Constable fo Humberside didn't agree with PCSO's but the new Chief Constable is 100% behind us.

DANGEROUS TIGER
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by DANGEROUS TIGER » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:25 am

The new Chief Constable, is a wiser man then. :D
LIVE WELL, DIE WELL

leigh
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by leigh » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:33 am

I've just recieved my contract and it says we are Traffic Wardens designated as PCSO's and will be referred to as PCSO's.

:D

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:39 am

DRIVERS are being allowed to park illegally in Maidenhead roads unchecked, according to a Royal Borough councillor.

At a town hall meeting on Tuesday deputy mayor of Windsor and Maidenhead Cllr Mike Scott (Lib Dem, Park) said the on-street parking situation in the town is out of hand.

As the borough’s representative for Thames Valley Police he said the situation has got out of control since traffic wardens were replaced by police community support officers (PCSOs) in May this year.

At the full council meeting Cllr Scott responded to a question about the parking issue raised by leader of the opposition Cllr David Burbage (Con, Bray). Cllr Scott said there were currently not enough PCSOs to patrol the streets issuing parking fines as well as supporting police officers on bigger jobs such as car crime and drugs. He said: “There are not a lot of people coming to the job, so we cannot be as robust as we would like in dealing with the problem.” He said axing traffic wardens before enough PCSOs were signed up has led to a ‘hiatus’ in the regulation of on-street parking. He said wardens were given the option to become PCSOs, but the majority declined.

After the meeting he said: “It is regrettable that it’s not enforced as rigorously as it should be, but the police are quite rightly giving their full attention to more serious criminal activities.” At the meeting Cllr Burbage said the deputy mayor fought ‘tooth and nail’ against the introduction of PCSOs.

Cllr Scott admitted to not being a fan of two-tier policing, but said the council and public should support the system. He encouraged residents to get in touch with the police about cases of illegal parking in the town. In the future illegal parking may be decriminalised and be regulated by parking wardens again, but ones employed by the council rather than the police.

Don't miss Thursday's Maidenhead Advertiser for ALL the news that matters to you.

mike863
Official Member
Official Member

Post by mike863 » Thu May 10, 2007 9:09 am

I can appreciate what is being reported there. Up until last September we had one police traffic warden to pretty much cover the whole of East Surrey (and I know he was the only one as I never saw any others!).

Now it's different. We have two council parking attendants to cover a council district, which includes four towns. It hasn't solved any problems but every time I do see them, they can't go more than 4 metres up the high street without having to give out a ticket.

I don't have a problem with PCSO's being given traffic warden powers as it means that we can tackle any issues the local community may have with dangerous and obstructive parking outside schools etc.

But using PCSO's for parking enforcement should only be to support the work of traffic wardens or parking attendants, not to replace them. There are so many more important things that PCSO's deal with which means parking is not a priority. Traffic wardens/parking attendants should be tackling the problem in general with parking and PCSO's should only respond to parking problems if it is in a place which has been specifically highlighted as a community issue.

I think really in this day and age the only way that the council is going to decriminalise parking is if you phrase it in a way they understand ie making more money.

baronsmirnoff
Committee Member
Committee Member

Post by baronsmirnoff » Thu May 10, 2007 9:18 am

In the MET they are making more PCSO jobs with a secondary role, so at some stage the few remaining traffic wardens may become PCSOs, not the other way round

The change in contracts may be due to funding, with the central funding for PCSOs originally due to end in April 2008 some of the forces maybe by employing traffic wardens with PCSO powers is a way to be able to afford them
DRINK WAS THE ANSWER BUT I FORGOT THE QUESTION

My spelling is good spelling but the letters sometime wobble and get in the wrong place - Winne The Pooh

falkor
Navigator
Navigator
Alignment: 'Xevious'

Post by falkor » Thu May 10, 2007 9:20 am

yikes Baron traffic wardens with PCSO powers ?? flippin heck, never heard of that in my LIFE :shock: I am amazed totally

and decriminalising parking seems set to sweep the country Mike as you may know .... and has been an ongoing process for a good 10 years that I know of!! :wideblu:

Zero tolerance on... parking
WestonMercury
09 May 2007

POLICE are joining traders with shopkeepers in Clevedon to crackdown on inconsiderate parkers in the town.

Hill Traders Association has joined forces with police community support officers to launch a zero tolerance drive against people parking badly in Hill Road.

The move comes after complaints from traders that people who work or live in the road are parking up and leaving their cars all day - resulting in no space for shoppers. Police community support officers will be patrolling the streets over forthcoming weeks, putting fluorescent notices on cars warning them to move on after two hours.

Hill Road Traders Association chairman Bob Hughes said: "The parking in the road has become a real issue. There are a lot of people who live in the road or work here and are just leaving their cars all day.

"This means there are no spaces for anyone wishing to spend a couple of hours shopping in the street and it is having an impact on business.

"In Hill Road there is no official car park so people just use the on street parking as an alternative."

Letters have now been sent out to all residents and traders warning that anyone found flouting the two hour parking limit in Hill Road risks being caught and issued with a fine.

Clevedon Police Community Support Officer Linda Richards said: "Notices will appear on car windscreens to remind motorists that the area is two hour free parking area with no return within two hours in a high profile effort to stop the problem.

"Tickets will also be issued to those that flout this rule.
UK planning forums got a planning application in the UK?

deja vu
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by deja vu » Sat May 12, 2007 9:52 am

I may have missed something here but are the street wardens that replaced traffic wardens without the same powers TW's had?, if so no wonder MOP's are flouting certain laws knowing there are not enough PC's and PCSO's to enforce them :?

METRO
Registered Member
Registered Member

Post by METRO » Thu May 17, 2007 5:45 pm

GMP Traffic Wardens have just been made into Traffic Police Community Support Officers (TPCSO) :)
'A mind once stretched by a new idea, never regains it's original dimensions'.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic